Friday 11 March 2011

Nostalgia.

Recently, I found my old iPod. I say found, it's just a faster way of saying "noticed it still pinned to my wall and decided to actually take it down and look at it". Despite my new iPod being less than 6 months in use (so the old one still being relatively up to date) I found myself getting all nostalgic over it. Maybe it was the smaller screen, maybe it was those two pixels that still don't want to be white. Maybe it was the original Orkney playlist (a playlist consisting of pre-Fallen Evanescence, both Amy MacDonald's albums and 4-6 Jill Tracy songs that I listened to at every silent moment, and annoyed everyone with by singing along to on the bus) sitting on it. Whatever the reason, I ended up listening to it for a few days. Just btw, I am not one of those people who toss aside perfectly working technology in favour of newer models, the reason I stopped using the old one was because the top white panel came off, meaning it would be dangerous to use it in wet weather/dust could get in it and mess it up.

So nostalgia, it's been a while. (<-PUN.)
I get nostalgic over little times that'll never be the same. Like around the standard grade exams, when I wasn't THAT close to Ewa, I went to her house for the first time since we were both bored and we played monopoly while listening to Billy Talent (Siobhan if you read this - this was the origins of your obsession). After that, I went home to get lunch and found my mum had bought me my first pair of converse which I love, and still have. They're falling to pieces but I'll never throw them out.
I get nostalgic over songs, and these songs tend to link to some time I played Nintendo. For example, I remember singing Britney Spears' Lucky at the top of my voice while playing Banjo Kazooie, Mumbo's Mountain, at the ant hill. I miss my old music, like Blue, which I listened to on my old 256MB MP3 player. To think, just last year I was struggling to fit my music on to my 4GB iPod, yet back then 256 did me fine! (I still envied my friend, who's mp3 had 512MB. It could hold TWICE the number mine could! D:)
I get nostalgic over "Cassie". Very few, in fact, just one of the people I actually know who might read this will get this reference. I miss high school- the simpler times in first year when there was no pressure. That said, 6th year was my favourite year - by then I was friends with my teachers, and we were adult enough to be treated with less contempt by said teachers. Advanced geography pretty much embodies everything I miss about high school.
Linking back to the Nintendo, I miss when the best way to fix my technology was to blow it and give it a thump. No tawdry jokes please, this is ACTUALLY a very efficient way to make Nintendos (works every time) and gameboys (wouldn't suggest the thumping part in this case, might break it a little).

To be honest, as cheesy as it'll sound, the times I miss most were the times when my sister and I matched in our maturity. In that we played together, a lot. It's okay though, she'll never read this.
So, Siobhan, I guess I just want to thank you for being around in my younger years. Not just for all those times we spent getting Sam and Speedy drunk on their bottles of god-knows-what-alcohol (prop: nail varnish bottles) and the elaborate wedding we staged for Sam and L...oh my God I've forgotten her name. Speedy got Poppy though, I remember that. Please tell me all of them are still in the attic? Not just for the times we spent dressing up (me in that blue outfit as the prince, you in the pink one as the princess) and acting out daring fights (I remember my weapon of choice being the plastic pipe that came attached to the hoover) and all those times with the Barbies, and the carpet burns from sliding down the stairs in pillow cases...
Not just for you always being the one who "should've known better", or the one who constantly got "found out" in your trespasses of The Rules, making mine less noticed.
P.S I recently noticed something. In our role plays and things like that, why was I always the man? Methinks you may have foreseen my future non-girlyness...or at least contributed to it.

Anyway, thank you Siobhan, for being my sister.

Now that I've made my cheese quotient for the month, I'm off to go do something manly. Like xbox, or eating raw eggs.

1 comment:

  1. Or you can rip-open your shirt and scream to the heavens "CHEST HAIR!"

    then get on a horse

    ReplyDelete